This pack of resources follows the the 2014 Mathematics National Curriculum. It contains IWB activities and printable resources.
LO: read, write and interpret mathematical statements involving addition (+), subtraction (–) and equals (=) signs
- Addition stories: Introduces the children to addition with pictures and symbols
- Calculation vocabulary: Explanations of the different symbols. It can also be printed and displayed.
- Introduction to recording number sentences: Explains how to record number sentences with addition and equals signs.
- Subtraction sentences: explains how to record number sentences with subtraction and equals signs.
LO: represent and use number bonds and related subtraction facts within 20
- To 5 Addition facts with fingers: making 5 different ways with the fingers of one hand
- To 5 Subtraction facts with fingers: subtraction sentences using the fingers on one hand
Each powerpoint looks at the subtraction facts associated with each number. It then looks for pattern in the number sentences and identifies the number bonds.
- To 5 subtraction facts
- To 6 subtraction facts
- To 7 subtraction facts
- To 8 subtraction facts
- To 9 subtraction facts
- To 10 subtraction facts
Looks at the different ways of making each number showing numerals and counters then highlights subtraction and related addition sentences.
- To 5 number facts
- To 6 number facts
- To 7 number facts
- To 8 number facts
- To 9 number facts
Number bonds to 10:
- To 10 Number bonds with fingers: Looks at the different combinations of fingers up/down to make 10
- To 10 Visual number bonds: shows a visual image of the different numbers
- To 10 Number bonds to 10: Shows the pairs of numbers that make 10
Number bonds 11-20
Each powerpoint looks at the number bonds for each individual number, 11-20. It then shows the paired numbers and asks the children how many number sentences they can think of for each pair.
- To 11 Number bonds:
- To 12 Number bonds:
- To 13 Number bonds:
- To 14 Number bonds:
- To 16 Number bonds:
- To 17 Number bonds:
- To 18 Number bonds:
- To 19 Number bonds:
- To 20 Number bonds:
- To 20 on the bus: Shows 20 people sitting on a bus and shows the subtraction facts as they get off. There is a quiz at the end for the children to recall the number bonds to 20.
LO: add and subtract one-digit and two-digit numbers to 20, including zero
- Addition to 10
- Addition to 20
- Subtraction to 10
- Subtraction to 20
All powerpoints contain sums and reveal the answers (minimum of 30 in each)
LO: solve one-step problems that involve addition and subtraction, using concrete objects and pictorial representations, and missing number problems such as 7 = ? – 9.
- Addition as combining 2 sets: visual representation of joining two sets along with the number sentences
- Addition can be done in any order: Demonstrates adding two numbers with counters by adding the small amount to the larger amount, and the larger amount to the smaller amount. Shows how this is the same when adding using numerals, and that it is easier to add the smaller number to the bigger number.
- Addition strategies: shows different ways that addition can be done, including counting on, using a number line, using fingers or counters etc.
- Buying 2 things at the toy shop: Real-life situation of using addition when buying 2 objects.
- Counting biscuits and missing numbers: Shows how 10 biscuits can be shared using addition sentences. It then introduces the concept of missing numbers, hiding biscuits and numerals with a reveal button.
- Counting dominoes: shows that addition can be done in any order.
- Counting on at the pet shop: Practical counting on activity
- Counting on from the biggest number: Demonstrates with objects on a number line how it is easier to count on from the biggest number
- Counting on the bus: practical addition activities
- Counting on the double decker bus: practical addition using the top and bottom deck
- Counting on with animals: Simple counting activity with animals
- Counting on with pencils: activity where the children can write down the number sentence to work out the answer
- The toy shop: introduces the concept of most and least, more than etc. in a practical context.
- Finding the difference – Strategies: ways of finding the difference between two numbers
- Sale at the toy shop: practical subtraction problems
- Subtraction strategies: shows different ways that addition can be done, including counting back, using a number line, using fingers etc.
- Taking away in the toy box: simple taking away activities
- Taking away on the bus: subtraction problems using people getting off a bus.
Introduction to missing numbers: explains what missing number problems are and gives strategies for working them out.
- Behind the Barn: pictorial introduction to missing numbers – asks how many cows there are altogether if x number are hiding behind the barn
- Missing number problems x 6
- Number cards and plus, minus and equals symbols
- Flip flap number bonds to 10
- number bonds to 10 addition sheet
- Number bonds to 10 subtraction sheet
- Toy prices
- Number cards to 20