Spelling resources to teach the statutory requirements in Appendix 2: Vocabulary, grammar and punctuation
- What are suffixes: Explains what they are and what meaning they add to words
FORMATION OF NOUNS USING SUFFIXES: er, ment, ness
POWERPOINTS: The three resources below recap on what a suffix and a noun is, then explain what each suffix means, and what effect it has on words. They ask the children to add the suffix to words and explain how the meaning has changed.
- Formation of nouns using the suffix er
- Formation of nouns using the suffix ment
- Formation of nouns using the suffix ness
- Jigsaw cards er ness and ment - to make words
FORMATION OF NOUNS BY COMPOUNDING:
- Formation of nouns by compounding: Explains what compound nouns are, then gives lists of words to make new compound nouns.
- Creating compound words: For the children to make words
- Compound word list
FORMATION OF ADJECTIVES USING SUFFIXES: ful, less, y
POWERPOINTS: The first three resources below explain what adjectives are, and what each suffix does to the meaning of words it is added to. They end with a list of words to add the suffix to, and explain how the meaning of the word has changed.
- Formation of adjectives by adding ful
- Formation of adjectives by adding less
- Formation of adjectives by adding y
- Formation of adjectives ful and less recap: Goes over the two suffixes then ends with an activity to change words by adding ful or less
- Adding suffixes to words in sentences: Pictures to encourage the children to make adjectives from root words.
- Think of adjectives: Different pictures for the children to look at and think of describing words using the suffixes ful y and less.
- Formation of adjectives worksheet: Writing sentences to describe pictures
USING THE SUFFIXES ER AND EST IN ADJECTIVES
- Suffixes er and est as comparatives: Explains how they change the meaning of words. Gives a list of words to add the suffixes to and think of sentences with them in.
THE USE OF LY TO TURN ADJECTIVES INTO ADVERBS
Using ly to turn adjectives into adverbs: Explains what adverbs are and how to make them by adding ly to adjectives.Gives a list of words to add ly to.
Making adverbs worksheet: Writing sentences with adverbs